Blues Piano Courses 1 & 2
Blues Piano Courses 1 & 2 are designed for beginner and intermediate piano students, non-piano playing musicians, and students who have completed Pop Piano Course 1 & 2. This course builds on the knowledge learnt in Pop Piano Course 1 & 2 and is a great introduction to various blues form and piano styles.
Overview of topics covered in Blues Piano Course 1 & 2:
- Diatonic harmony in a major and minor key, intervals, triads, 7th chords
- Thinking in numbers
- The basic 12 bar blues form
- Major and Minor blues scales and fingerings
- Dominant 7th chords and voicings
- Boogie Woogie bass patterns
- Walking bass lines
- Rhythm: Swing, syncopation, triplets
- The Mixolydian mode
- Variations of the 12 bar blues form
- The minor blues
- RH chords and blues licks
- Inversions and voice leading
- Transposition into different keys
Jazz Piano Courses 1 & 2
Jazz Piano Course 1 & 2 are designed for beginner and intermediate piano students, non-piano playing musicians, and students who have completed one or more of the Pop Piano Courses and the Blues Piano Course. This course is ideal for students who would like to delve deeper into jazz harmony and jazz piano.
Overview of topics covered in Jazz Piano Course 1 & 2:
- Diatonic harmony in a major and minor key, intervals, triads.
- 7ths, chord extensions and alterations
- Reading chord charts
- LH chords/RH Soloing
- Rootless voicings, two hand voicings
- Chord/scale relationships
- Jazz chord progressions (ii V I's)
- Some popular jazz standards repertoire
- Cycle of 4ths/5ths
- Rhythm: swing, syncopation, triplets
Course Structure & Pricing:
5 x 1 hour individual lessons over 5 weeks.
School student discount: $390
Full price: $450
A deposit (School student price: $78. Full price: $90) will confirm the students enrollment in the piano course and their start date/lesson time. Payment of the deposit implies agreement of the terms and conditions (terms and conditions will be emailed with the invoice). The full payment for the course is due at least one business day before the course commences.
After the Course:
Once a course has been completed students can enrol in one of the other piano courses, or you can book a one off lesson, or ongoing lessons when you feel the need for some more "Aha" moments to keep the musical creativity flowing. One-off and ongoing lessons will be at the hourly Aha Music School saxophone & piano lesson price ($74).
Due to time limitations and a highly variable timetable, no make-up lessons will be given unless at least 24 hours notice is given. Only 1 make-up lesson per 5-week course will be granted at the discretion of the teacher. Make up lessons will be made up either during the 5-week period of the course, or if needed, in the following 1-2 weeks once the 5-week course period has finished. The 5 x 1 hour lesson course must be completed during a 5-week period, a grace period of 2 extra weeks to complete the course will be given in exceptional circumstances.